Ismail Bhai Ka Pathha

Sunday, April 02, 2006

The National Game

No, this is not about the stick and ball game. Read On.
The library is the most depressing place on campus during exam time. The saddest faces digging deep into their notes and also those of everyone who is around them. It's also amusing in an obscure way. The constant humming of the xerox machine with people getting the complete text-books photocopied and the chief librarian fuming over it, stating the copright issues and giving everyone lectures on morality. So, I of course stop going to the place seven days before the d for dreaded d-days.
Yesterday, the exams ended. And I made my way to the library to hunt for an interesting read. Started looking for something in the economics section. And laid my eyes on Amartya Sen's latest-Bakchod Hindustani (err, well, that's what it roughly translates to) and my inspiration for the new post.
Yes, ladies and gentleman, presenting the only sport worthy of being given the national status, the one which truly binds together the Entra and the Punju, the Bihari and the Gujju - Bakchodi.
I guess you will call me a veteran, considering it took me about 150 words to come to the point. But, I consider myself a novice in front of the Nobel prize winner who has written a 350-page tome discussing the beauty of the sport. The reason this is not the in the Olympics as yet is obvious. It's the conspiracy of the Western World to deny us the gold. You don't believe that we can do it. Take this.
  1. The Mahabharata alone is about seven times longer than Iliad and Odyssey put together. And they call them epics. Bah!!
  2. The longest single volume English novel in the world is NOT LOTR. It's our very own Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy.
Can any other country give better examples of Bakchodi? Narayanmurthy, the Infosys head tells this pet joke at every conference and interview (he needs to learn more to be called a true Indian).
I have a friend who teaches at the Harvard Business School and I asked him about his experiences as a Professor . He replied, "You see, I face two major problems in my class. I have to ensure that the Japanese students speak up and the Indian students shut up."
You get it. I am not making it up. We are the best and should take pride. Let's push for the cause. Beijing Chalo!!
Signing off with this couplet by Raja Ram Mohun Roy. Some food for thought.
Just consider how terrible the day of your death will be
Others will go on speaking, and you will not be able to argue back.

P.S. Check my previous post on the sport on my old blog

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home