Ismail Bhai Ka Pathha

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Made for Multiplex

I weighed 75 kgs when I came to college. Lost 10 kgs in the first semester. Thanks to soccer. Stopped playing sometime in 2nd year. Am again 75. So, I realise that to have even remote chances of having a girlfriend, I need to lose flab.
Decided on yesterday as the day to go back to the field. Took out soiled studds and wiped them clean. And as I was about to go out, a friend came over and asked me if I wanted to go for a movie. All plans to lose weight take a backseat and I hence go for Being Cyrus-another one amongst today's made for multiplex going audience.
Now that is one term I have never been able to understand. Are these movies made for those who can shell enough money to go to a multiplex? This does not apply to me since English movies in multiplexes in Gujarat cost you just 30 bucks. Or does it mean that only the urban, hip-hop pseudo-intellects can understand the movie. Of all the movies that have been categorised in this genre, I have found only Hyderabad Blues to be original. And this movie actually came out at the time when there were few or no multiplexes.

Coming to Being..., it had received mighty reviews before it opened and I thought it to be some mind-blowing stuff. I wouldn't say that it was bad, but there was nothing new in the film. And the story was predictable. Parsee family-old man who is ill treated, scheming women, bawa log cussing in Gujarati, adultery..you get what I mean.
To cut the story, it was you regular saas bahu shit made in English with some random mumb-jumbo thrown in which tried to portray it as some high-level intellectual bak-that's the term we use to describe everything that's nonsense.
O.K., I may have gone a bit too far calling it saas bahu. There were a few thrills towards the end. But trust me, we had better thrillers in the 60s and 70s- Gumnaam, Humraaz, Teesri kasam et al. And, they were made in Hindi with simple and entertaining storylines.
I know this will be hailed as path-breaking, ground breaking film when the reality is that it was just another film. Seriously, had this been made in hindi with an item number thrown in, it would have been a total paisa vasool time-pass for me.

Moral of the Story: Never sacrifice football for anything.

P.S. Nice chicks from NIFT had come for the show. And boy, that was a treat to the eyes after a long time. I seriously need to lose weight.

1 Comments:

  • I seriously agree to u abt the movie
    i also skipped my badi for the movie, carried away by the hype created by my friends
    but result was reverse

    By Blogger nitesh, at March 31, 2006 1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home