Ismail Bhai Ka Pathha

Thursday, March 16, 2006

My Sweet Revenge

I was 13 when I went for the Bournvita Quiz Contest. That was seven years back. I belong to a small town with about 3 or 4 decent schools, so it was easier for me to get through.
The quarter-final was surprisingly a cakewalk-won against schools from Poona (the spelling is intentional, I like it that way), Bangalore and Rourkela. Ran into rough weather in the semis. Came fourth. If you all remember, the speed round used to end with a spelling. We were supposed to spell lieutenant. Messed up the e and u and it was curtains to our campaign.

The semi-final was aired some 8 months after it was shot. I guess I haven't mentioned that I belonged to Army School. So, one week after the telecast, Mr. Derek O'Brien sends a letter addressed to the Principal of the school ridiculing the institution and saying that it was a shame that a student of Army School couldn't spell Lieutenant. I was never told of the letter but came to know about it through subtle hints. And boy, did that hurt.

I had forgotten everything about that incident until today. It was the Ahmedabad regionals of the Brand Equity Quiz conducted by the great Derek himself. It's supposed to be a corporate quiz, so went there as audience. As I entered the venue, saw a fat ass conducting the prelims. As the prelims get over she says, "You have been a great audience. It's getting dark and the weather's also pretty awesome. We will have fun".
What the %^*& was that??

So, after 10 minutes we see the great Derek dressed as a Russian Army general called RAMDI.
Refered to the two kindergarten girls who accompanied him on stage as his "privates". And the fat ass was called Brig. Bhavna. The whole quiz was filled in with lewd comments on Business terms and the quizmaster making mockery of the participating teams and the audience. It ended with everyone cussing the quizmaster. And all that in a strange way took me back seven years and made me happy.

Though the prizes were huge, first prize was 150 grands and I hope to participate 2 years down the line, this I pray, should be the last time I had seen Derek O'Brien.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home